Apparently, it is very important to eat your colours when it comes to vegetables since the colours somehow correlate with the nutritional value of our veg. Let me be very clear here: I am not a biologist or a nutritional scientist. But, I do like a colourful plate of food in front of me, especially when we are talking salads.
I am a little in love with all the different coloured beetroot one can by during fall. Which brings me to my Fall House Salad with Apples & Beetroot. This happy salad has some bitter fall leaves such as kale, sweet & crunchy apples, vibrant & slightly earthy beetroot, fresh mint, peppery rosemary and so so so much more . Also, did I mention that this salad comes with a turmeric dressing? I hope you enjoy making and eating this salad.
Fall House Salad with Apples and Beetroot
for the salad:
- a mix of fall lettuces & greens such as oak lettuce, kale, radicchio etc., washed & torn into pieces
- 1 big beetroot, peeled & finely sliced (careful as it will stain!)
- 1 sweet apple such as pink lady or braeburn, finely sliced & drizzled with some lemon juice to prevent it from turning brown
- 1 big carrot, peeled and cut in ribbons or little sticks
- a hand-full of radishes, finely sliced
- feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted (always toast your seeds in a hot pan without oil for maximum flavour)
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons of roughly chopped mint leaves
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of coarse mustard
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder (careful as it will stain!)
- salt & pepper to taste
On a platter, arrange your salad leaves and sprinkle the chopped rosemary evenly over your salad base layer. Now arrange the beetroot, apple, carrots, and radishes to your liking onto your salad leaves. Sprinkle with mint & toasted sunflower seeds and add the feta at last.
For the dressing, mix olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and turmeric well and season the dressing to your liking with salt and pepper. Dress the salad just before you are ready to eat. Enjoy!